Sunday, September 24, 2006

Not forgotten

Two months have passed by now since I last posted. Melbourne has gone on, leaving behind new days which I am determined not to let become forgotten. But as I’m unlikely to get around to the many half finished posts which lay idle in my draft folder, I have decided instead to post a blog (or blog a post?) summarising the things I've been meaning to write about but have not had the time.

Public Transport

It occurred to me one morning aboard the 703, as one street after another rushed from my sight, that I must have made this same trip well over a hundred times this year. And yet despite the familiarity of the journey I could not recall a single detail of what things had been like a month, a week or even the day before. The only markers of time I could seem to find were the occasional oddities that disrupt the daily ebb and flow that is commuting to uni. Some of which I will record here.

Every now and again there is a most impatient woman who within a minute or so of boarding and apparently under the impression that the bus driver has forgotten to drive, takes it upon herself to remind him, loudly grunting by way of exclamation and indicating her wristwatch.

Without fail the bus will remain firmly in place as the last of the commuters coming from the station board the bus. Baffled by this disregard of her instructions she resigns herself to, what I can only assume is muttering about the inefficiency and disrespect of public transport employees. Because you see, she does this all of this in sign language.

A high school boy bearing an uncanny resemblance to the fat guy from 'LOST' paced back and forth in front of the pay-phones beside the bus stop. I had only noticed him because of his screamingly unsuccessful attempt at appearing inconspicuous.

Eventually the reason for his discomfort became apparent, a man looking to be about forty appeared and handed the boy a fifty the boy then produced a presumably stolen mobile phone from his jacket and handed it over whilst avoiding eye contact with the man, he may as well have been wearing dark glasses, a trench coat and carrying a bag with a dollar sign on for all the good it did him. The man shaking his head in amusement as he casually walked away leaving the boy looking somewhat whiter then he had before. So I guess the moral here is; if you look like the fat guy from lost don't sell stolen phones at the station or bored science students may write blogs about you.

Just Like Your Capacity for Irony

This was written one morning on the 'daily message board' of the burwood heights uniting church and kept me amused for quite some time.
"Our capacity for self deception is awesome."

Thanks for that organized-religion!

Cubicle Culture

Public toilets have always been a medium for communication between people from all walks, where the paper is not read but the walls themselves. Of course there is traditional "for a good time call.." And even the occasional "I fucked your mum" followed by "dad, you're drunk, go home", but as I have found university toilets are of a much higher literary standard.

The development of culture in these toilets is aided by the more regular (no pun intended) clientele that frequent them, allowing for the establishment of more complex social interactions such as extended topic discussions. Also the overall standard is higher here owing to the more educated patrons of university toilets who are more inclined towards correcting the bad grammar of others and adding a cerebral twist to the usual literary fare such as;

"Schrodinger may have been here"

"There once was a woman from bright
who could travel faster that light
She set out one day in a relative way
and returned the previous night"

Or simpler jokes such as the toilet paper dispensers bearing the instruction "pull for arts degree".

7 Comments:

At September 24, 2006 10:56 pm, Anonymous Hooch said...

Toilet literary goodness: gold, absolute GOLD. I'm sure there's a linguistics thesis in there somewhere...

BTW: A duck turned up in my inbox, can't for the life of me figure out why it's there, and whether I should be remembering something about ducks or what... But if its intention was to direct me to this (un)forgotten swap of bloggery, then it has served its purpose well.

Quack

 
At September 24, 2006 11:14 pm, Blogger Adam said...

RE Water-Fowl: See comments of previous post.

 
At September 24, 2006 11:30 pm, Anonymous Hooch said...

quack indeed. and it WAS directing me here. How intuitive of me.

 
At September 25, 2006 4:29 am, Anonymous Steph said...

Deleted my MySpace. Just letting you know.

Public transportation was once the bane of my existence, yet the most intereting part of it. It's a great place to be for people-watching!

 
At September 28, 2006 9:15 pm, Blogger Mars said...

I used to catch the 703 to school. Now that was a while ago...

 
At October 03, 2006 2:54 pm, Blogger Adam said...

Hooch- an intuitive little duck you are indeed.

Mars- What a small proverbial it is.
How did you chance upon this blog?

 
At October 07, 2006 10:18 am, Blogger Mars said...

I came from Enny's blog. I know the original Adam, and i noticed she'd included another Adam, and wondered what the world was coming to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home